Monday, September 18, 2017

Last Call

Last call
Down to my last 6 bucks
Got a tear in my pantyhose too
Nobody’s buying
Not tonight
Not anymore
There he is
At the end of the bar
Somewhere between
“I guess so” and “Can’t do another night alone”
Not much time for indecision
Lights will be coming on soon
All the songs are the same here
Night after night
They bleed into years
A fixture, they call me
I remember a time when they lit up to see me
Men stood from their seats when I walked
Into the room
Their boy-like eyes, glued to my ass as I danced away
But here I sit tap, tap, tapping my nails along this weathered bar
Keeping with a time only I know
A song only I sing anymore
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Who gives a fuck about the glass, when you’re living in the bottle?
All the boys and girls - gone and flown away
Left a sad old maid perched on a barstool
Lips painted red
And nails to match
Tapping away
A familiar fixture until someone yells
Last call

Image result for dive bar 


















2 comments:

  1. I heard last call. I ordered two. Suck the ice; I need every drop. Do I have what I need til 6 o'clock? Then it comes, the tender flicks the lights. This place is worse with just a glimpse. I know what tomorrow holds. Do what you need to survive. Fight your body to start. ... last call, light flick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! "Tender flick" of the light... Looking at it now, it was always a soft 'on' but back then it always felt like calamity.

    ReplyDelete