Monday, June 10, 2019

The Messiah of Melodrama, You Oughta Know



I had the misfortune of coming across a song on the radio last night that brought me back some years. I had never paid attention to how horrible it was until last night. Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know” isn’t about empowerment after a breakup. It’s about a woman who refuses to let go. It’s sad really. The problem, as I see it, is that the song is catchy; you want to sing along. Young women beat their chests proclaiming: “I’m taking back my identity! I’m being true to myself! I’m finally being heard!”

No, you’re being crazy. Let go of shit that no longer serves you. Be a woman of integrity. Find your happiness in something or someone that returns the effort, affection, and attention that you give. When it’s done, it’s done. Let it go and try on some personal growth.

There’s a range of emotion that's to be expected, but for the love of all that's good in the world, keep that shit in small circles. You look pathetic when you attempt to sully others publicly. And if you’re going to write a song, let’s call it what it is. It’s not empowerment, it’s an adolescent attempt to drag someone through the dirt and gain the sympathy of others.

I’ve broken down the lyrics to the song below and added my thoughts in purple text. I want you all to know, that I wish nothing but the best for her. * not passive aggressive at all. nope. not one bit. *


YOU OUGHTA KNOW (with remarks by Rants & Swears)
I want you to know, that I am happy for you
I wish nothing but the best for you both
Oozing passive-aggressiveness. Wanna try again?
An older version of me
Is she perverted like me?
Would she go down on you in a theater?
Public indecency is highly frowned upon, please be careful. Pee-wee Herman got in a lot of trouble for this.
Does she speak eloquently
And would she have your baby?
I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother
'Cause the love that you gave that we made
Wasn't able to make it enough for you
To be open wide, no
Clearly, you opened wide. You still haven’t shut.
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me
You'd hold me until you died
'Til you died, but you're still alive
Get over yourself sweetheart. We all say sentimental shit no one is expected to be held to unless you marry up. Weren’t we all going to marry our first love and grow old together? Remember that bullshit? Yeah, we were all around 15 when that happened, right? So, by that rationale, we’re all miserable liars.
And I'm here, to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
Wait, you’re bearing a cross now? You’ve made yourself a martyr? Wow didn’t see that coming. Nope, not at all.
You, you, you oughta know
You seem very well, things look peaceful
I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know
No shit you’re not well. You’re bordering on obsessive, leaning towards delusional.
Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity?
I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner
Doubtful. I rather think she enjoys it.
It was a slap in the face
How quickly I was replaced
And are you thinking of me when you fuck her?
Psst…this song was written following her breakup with Dave Coulier. That’s right, the fluffy dad from Full House whose token line was, “Cut it out!” Not hunky Stamos or even the comic Saget; just Coulier. What am I missing? Ultimately, she doesn’t want the answer to her question, “are you thinking of me when you fuck her?”
Sweetie, if he was thinking of you…he’d still be with you.
'Cause the love that you gave that we made
Wasn't able to make it enough for you
To be open wide, no
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me
You'd hold me until you died
'Til you died, but you're still alive
Dammit! We’re here again? Bitch, herpes is forever, not your relationship. Time to move on.
And I'm here, to remind you
(and all of creation)
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
Seriously, put down the cross, fix your hair and go find some new dick.
You, you, you oughta know
'Cause the joke that you laid in the bed
That was me and I'm not gonna fade
As soon as you close your eyes, and you know it
And every time I scratch my nails
Down someone else's back I hope you feel it
How do you plan to scratch your nails down someone else’s back if you continue wailing about this dude? Men don’t like it when you’re hung up on your ex. Revenge sex only hurts everyone. Heal. Move the fuck on. He’s just not that into you.
Well, can you feel it?
And I'm here, to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair, to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know
He knows it, your next-door neighbors know it, your grocer probably knows it too. Your co-workers have began scheming; devising ways to have you terminated. They’re tired of your shit too. Your pets no longer like you either. If they could dump you, they would. Face reality: it’s over. You lost. Stop writing passive-aggressive, bitter misery anthems and move the fuck on! Spare us all your pathetic call to arms. It’s only Dave Coulier. For fuck’s sake lady, “Cut it out!”


Fun fact: if you google "angry breakup" images, Alanis Morissette's album cover comes up as #15. 




No comments:

Post a Comment